What Is a sham bedding
A sham bedding is a decorative pillow cover that is used to cover a pillow that is not in use or to add a decorative touch to a bed. It is typically used in addition to a standard pillowcase and is placed on top of the pillow. Shams typically have a similar design or pattern as the bedding set and can come in a variety of materials such as cotton, linen or silk. Sham bedding can be decorative as well as functional and can be used to change the look of a room easily and affordably.
The benefits of a sham bedding
A sham bedding is a decorative pillow cover that is used to cover a pillow that is not in use or to add a decorative touch to a bed. There are several benefits to using a sham bedding, including:
- Decorative appeal: A sham bedding can add a decorative touch to a bed or room, making it look more polished and put together.
- Protection: A sham bedding can protect a pillow from dust, spills, and other types of wear and tear.
- Variety: Shams come in a variety of colors, patterns, and materials, allowing you to change the look of your bed easily.
- Cost-effective: Shams are usually less expensive than buying new pillows, and you can change the look of a room without having to spend a lot of money.
- Versatility: A sham can be used to cover a pillow that is not in use, or to add an extra layer of padding to a bed.
- Cleaning: Shams can be removed and washed, making it easy to maintain the cleanliness of your bedding.
The different types of sham beddings
There are several different types of sham beddings, which vary in terms of size, shape, and material. Some of the most common types include:
- Standard shams: These are the most common type of sham and are typically used to cover standard pillows. They are usually rectangular in shape and measure around 20 inches by 26 inches.
- Euro shams: These are larger than standard shams and are typically used to cover square-shaped pillows. They are usually rectangular in shape and measure around 26 inches by 26 inches.
- King shams: These are larger than standard shams and are used to cover king-sized pillows. They typically measure around 20 inches by 36 inches.
- Body shams: These are larger than standard shams and are used to cover the entire pillow. They typically measure around 20 inches by 54 inches.
- Bolster shams: These are cylindrical shaped shams that are used to cover bolster-shaped pillows. They typically measure around 6 inches in diameter by 20 inches in length.
Shams can also come in different materials such as cotton, linen, silk and satin. Some are embroidered, printed or have embellishments like lace, tassels, or ruffles. Some shams come with zippers or buttons to close and some are just slip on.
How to choose the right sham bedding for your home
When choosing a sham bedding for your home, there are several factors to consider, including size, shape, material, design, and color. Here are a few tips to help you make the right choice:
- Consider the size of your pillows: Make sure to choose shams that are the right size for your pillows. Standard shams are typically used for standard pillows, while euro shams are typically used for square pillows and king shams for king-sized pillows.
- Think about the overall design of your room: Choose shams that complement the overall design of your room. If your room has a modern aesthetic, opt for shams with clean lines and simple designs. If your room has a more traditional aesthetic, opt for shams with embroidery or other embellishments.
- Consider the material: The material of the sham can affect the appearance, feel, and durability of the sham. Cotton and linen are natural, breathable and affordable materials, while silk and satin are luxurious and have a smooth feel.
- Think about the color: Choose a color that complements the other colors in your room. You can opt for a neutral color that will blend in with the rest of your bedding, or choose a bold color that will add a pop of color to your room.
- Think about the maintenance: Some shams are machine washable and easy to maintain, while others are dry clean only. Be sure to choose a sham that is easy to maintain and clean.
Ultimately, choose a sham that reflects your personal style and complements the overall design of your room. With the right sham, you can add a decorative touch to your bed and make your bedroom look more polished and put together.
Tips for caring for your sham bedding
Here are a few tips for caring for your sham bedding:
- Read the care label: Before washing or cleaning your sham, be sure to read the care label to ensure that you are using the correct cleaning method. Some shams may be machine washable, while others may need to be dry cleaned or hand washed.
- Use the right detergent: Choose a detergent that is appropriate for the material of your sham. Avoid using harsh detergents or bleach, as these can damage or discolor the fabric.
- Use the right water temperature: Be sure to use the correct water temperature for the material of your sham. Hot water can shrink or damage certain materials, while cold water may not be hot enough to clean certain types of stains.
- Use a delicate cycle: If your sham is machine washable, be sure to use a delicate cycle to avoid damage to the fabric.
- Dry the sham properly: After washing your sham, be sure to dry it properly. Hang it on a clothesline or lay it flat to dry. If you use a dryer, use the lowest heat setting and remove it promptly when it is done.
- Iron if necessary: If your sham is wrinkled, iron it on the lowest heat setting. Use a pressing cloth if necessary.
- Store it properly: When not in use, store your sham in a cool, dry place to avoid damage from sunlight, heat or humidity.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your sham bedding stays looking great and lasts for many years to come.