How to decorate a small basement
Homeowners always want to rationally use the available space, and the empty basement is an additional space with hidden opportunities. Competent arrangement of the basement in a private home will help to turn it into a comfortable and useful corner. Let’s understand, according to what principles the transformation of the lower level of the house is carried out, what options for its use exist and what should be taken into account in the process of restructuring.
Variety of possibilities
The basement has long remained an unattractive part of the house. It was considered only as a place for storing household supplies, tools, garden tools. Here also found the last resting place of old furniture and other unnecessary things.
Then came the realization that the basement can become a full-fledged living space, and after the arrangement there are the following options for its use:
- Storage space. Still important role of the basement pantry, which will find a place for storing provisions, and for garden tools, and for a wine cellar.
- Technical or auxiliary room. Under the ground is convenient to arrange a boiler room or laundry, to organize a workshop.
- The area for recreation. Below the ground floor is convenient to organize billiard room, gym, sauna or health complex with a swimming pool, to arrange a home cinema or bar.
- Functional rooms. Downstairs you can arrange a garage, saving a significant part of the territory of the site. Popular solution is the transfer downstairs kitchen or guest bedroom.
There are several types of zero level rooms:
- Basement. It is entirely below ground level, as part of the foundation. In many homes, it has a lot of room, but it is only used for utilities. The room has no natural light, but there are no fluctuations in temperature – it is the same all year round.
- Basement (semi-basement). It is also supported by the foundation, but it is buried only partially in the ground. In the basement is arranged storage room, often equipped with a garage.
- Cellar. A small room designed for storing food and household tools. Usually after the construction of the house, it remains in the rough version.
Principles of arrangement
Remodeling the basement begins with drawing out its plan. The planning of the basement in a private house will help to visualize the possibilities of its use; at this stage, several options are considered. If the area is small, functions can be combined. For example, combine the laundry room with a pantry, installing comfortable shelves or cabinets in it.
Darkness and damp, stale air in the cave – not the best conditions. If you plan to place living rooms on the lower level, you’ll have to take care of thoughtful design, as well as a comfortable microclimate.
To create a livable environment, you need to pay attention to the following aspects of the arrangement:
- Electricity. If there are no outlets, there will be no appliances, the main source of comfort. Safe concealed electrical wiring with easy access to the switchboard will be needed.
- Ventilation. It should provide the usual air exchange, because hardly anyone wants to breathe stale air. Forced system with a powerful extractor is required.
- Heating. Even in summer the temperature in the basement is not comfortable enough to stay there for a long time, so you can not do without batteries; a good solution is a warm floor.
- Water supply. It will be needed in any case. Minimal program for an inhabited basement – a toilet and a sink. Water is brought to the kitchen and bar, and if you plan a bedroom or gym, you should think about a bath or shower.
- Additionally. If you plan to arrange a working room, game zone or home cinema, hold TV and Internet cable.
- Shell finish. Proper hydro and thermal insulation will help to maintain the desired temperature and humidity.
- The last step is to work out the design of the basement in a private home. Selected style interior design, finishing materials, decor and furnishings.
The subtleties of arrangement
It is most convenient to plan the basement at the stage of designing a residential house, when it is possible to take into account the composition of the soil and the depth of groundwater. In this case, not only the type of foundation is chosen, but also the features of the basement are laid.
When building a house, basement insulation from the outside is made of materials that do not absorb moisture (e.g. extruded polystyrene foam). For internal insulation is important reliable waterproofing of the walls, and insulation choose necessarily incombustible (suitable mineral wool or polyurethane foam).
Styrofoam boards are not suitable because of flammability, and glass wool materials over time, begin to issue a small, hazardous to health, dust.
Difficulties can arise when re-equipping the basement of an already built house. If you want to arrange in a basement sauna (which for private houses is allowed with many restrictions), the most problematic will be the section of the foundation from the soil surface to the depth of freezing.
If it turns out that this part was not insulated from the outside, because of the high temperature during the sauna dew point will move inward insulation of the walls of the steam room. Condensation will begin to form in the insulation and it will no longer perform its function. In this case, you will have to be especially careful in choosing insulation. To avoid condensation, give preference to foil-coated polyurethane foam (foil is directed inside).
Deciding how to equip the basement in a private home, the owners should pay attention to the following details:
- Staircase design. It should combine beauty, convenience and safety of use. The latter is especially important if the family has children and the elderly.
- Safety of the basement room. It is necessary to think of a convenient escape route in case of an emergency.
- Accessibility. Entrance to the basement can be arranged from the house, from the street, or make it a combination. An exterior entrance is convenient if the basement pantry stores tools or gardening equipment. If the basement has a large area, it is desirable to arrange two exits.
- Emergency lighting. In a certain place store a battery-powered flashlight or a couple or three candles with a lighter.
Popular arrangement ideas
If the living part of the house is not enough space for recreation or hobbies, the necessary meters will be found in the basement or basement. Almost any concept can be implemented downstairs; the only limitation will be the limits of the allocated budget.
Among the projects of transformation of the basement there are sauna and bathhouse, garage and swimming pool, often it is placed here a wine cellar, aquarium or fireplace.
Thinking about how to equip the basement in the most practical way, owners are transferred to the lower level and the living area. Widespread are the following options for arrangement:
- Billiard room. What father of the family does not dream of a room where you can communicate with friends, watch soccer and do not interfere with the household? In this case the billiard room is a collective name; it may additionally contain a minibar, a place for board games, TV and upholstered furniture. If there will be smoking in the room, there will be a need for a powerful extractor.
- Home theater. The basement is well soundproofed, so the basement is the best place to place the necessary equipment. In the design, it is useful to provide a small bar and a refrigerator with drinks. For the design of the cinema choose any style, the main thing – comfortable furniture.
- Living room. About the transfer of the living room in the basement are thought about when the family becomes larger, and there is a need for a new bedroom. If the area allows, the public area can be divided into several rooms: for adults, for children, for “men’s club”. Special attention is paid to the choice of stairs.
- Gym. For comfortable exercise, the hall is equipped with good ventilation, the floor is made particularly strong, choose lamps in the warm solar spectrum. A good addition would be a large mirror and a shower room.
There are other possible uses for the basement. It is arranged under the music studio, converted into a workshop for your favorite hobby or greenhouse. If the family is large, the actual device of the laundry room with a place for ironing things or a room for games.
Many private homes have basements, which can be converted and used more efficiently. Before you turn the ground floor into a living room or gym, you need to take care to create a comfortable living environment. To do this, think about ventilation, heating and water supply, install outlets, run Internet cable.
Particular attention is paid to external and internal insulation of the basement. Proper insulation is especially important if there will be a sauna or swimming pool downstairs. Regardless of how the basement will be used, you can not forget about other details: safety, accessibility, the choice of suitable stairs. The most common use of the basement is for a living room, gym, game room or workshop.