How to choose roof color for red brick house
It is best to choose roof color for red brick house and walls at the design stage of the house, so that you can see the compatibility of shades, the harmony of their combination with the surrounding landscape and/or the contrast with nature. It is important not to violate the boundaries of common sense and aesthetics and pick the ideal color combination of the main exterior elements.
In this material we will consider in detail the question of many people interested in what color to make the roof, if the house is built of red brick, as well as the relevance of different shades for the architecture of the country house.
What affects the choice of color combination?
Coloristics in the exterior of the house plays an important role – with certain color combinations can hide minor flaws in the building, to emphasize its aesthetic advantages, reduce or increase insolation, etc.
When choosing colors for the roof and facade must take into account such factors:
- Visual characteristics. Light shades can visually enlarge the house, if there is such a goal. And it does not have to be white, more often in the exterior use light beige and cream colors (photo 1). However, dark accents in the exterior look more organic than pastel colors. And emphasize the virtues of broken roofs allow contrasting tones.
- The degree of heat absorption by the roof. Everyone knows that the dark color absorbs heat better. On such a roof, the snow will melt faster and the attic in early spring will warm up faster. On this basis, in northern latitudes is more appropriate to make a dark roof, well, in the south, respectively, a light one.
- Color fastness. During operation, any coating loses its original color. The most susceptible to burn the rich and bright colors, especially black. However, light colors are also subject to this effect – for example, a white surface will eventually turn yellow. The most practical in this regard is gray.
- Dependence of color on shapes. Saturated and bright shades can be effectively used only in the exteriors of buildings of simple configuration and without small architectural elements. In other cases, the best way to emphasize the features of the facade is to use light and calm tones.
Brick wall color
In most cases, for the finishing of facades is used brick, the color of which, in one way or another, is associated with nature – light shades of yellow, brown, beige. But this is not a panacea, so it is not uncommon to see even houses made of black cladding material.
Characteristics of some colors:
- Red walls are the most memorable. Its various shades are successfully used today by manufacturers of roofing materials. But if the facade is lined with red bricks, then the decision about what color it is better to make the roof, should be taken in view of the particular shade of wall material. However, in most cases for the roof used brown materials, less often – dark green and black.
- White facade – symbolizes purity and prosperity, is neutral, so it combines with almost any shade. Modern designers often use it when decorating the exteriors of small houses, as it is able to visually increase the objects.
- Gray walls are practical and familiar, but associated with overcast weather. Such facades are the perfect background for bright elements (doors, windows, etc.). If you want to create an exterior in the style of forever young classics, a red roof will be ideal. But, more often than not, the roof is made of a material with a gray derivative shade.
- Yellow facade (ivory brick) – symbolizes warmth, comfort and hospitality. Most popular in northern latitudes. All the advantages of architectural appearance will emphasize dark red or brown roof.
- Brown walls create a simple and welcoming image of the building. Not bad combined with a green (but not bright) roof. However, more often the roof is decorated in the tone of the house or lighter shades.
- Black, purple or blue facade – the choice of bold and confident individuals. More often found in modern architecture with a minimum of architectural elements. The color of the roof is chosen taking into account the shade of the walls.
What should be considered when choosing the color of the roof?
Try walking down the street in the private sector, built up with relatively new houses. What do we see? In most cases it is a violation of the unity of style, color palette of houses, and sometimes – even a combination of colors of the facade and roof of the same building. It is therefore important already at the stage of construction or repair to determine the color palette of materials used for wall cladding and roof arrangement.
Choosing the primary color should also take into account the style of the building, the landscape design of the site. To emphasize all the advantages of a high house with a roof of a complex configuration, it is recommended to build it separately, or on a hill. Also, such buildings should not obscure tall trees. Do not forget to take into account the style and color of the roofs of neighboring buildings.
Color palette of roofing materials
Modern manufacturers produce roofing coatings in a wide range of colors. But the principles of choice always remain the same.
Therefore, let’s consider the main shades used for designing roofs:
- Red – a bright and beautiful color associated with wealth. Combines well with the facade of similar and softer shades (e.g. orange, sandy). Can be combined with white brick walls. Also perfectly suited to Bavarian masonry.
- Different shades of green is the most successful solution if the landscape design is dominated by a similar color palette. Often the walls are made of red bricks, and the roof is green. But such shades are best combined with a darker (e.g., brown) and white facade.
- Various shades of blue and blue – the colorful color of the sky and winter coolness. Perfectly harmonize with gray, white, beige and peach fronts.
- Gray – associated with cloudy skies and fog. All the advantages of such a roof will emphasize the red and brown facades. Often the walls are decorated in tones with the roof.
- Brown – the shade of tree bark and dry autumn leaves, so it will fit perfectly into any landscape. This roof color goes well with peach, beige, red brick and ivory walls.
Recommendations for combining different colors
The easiest way to match the shade of the roof under the white, black and gray facades, which are considered universal. Under a variety of transitional shades to pick up a harmonious color is difficult.
The most appropriate look combinations of natural hues – trees (brown), green (leaves, grass), blue (sky), yellow or ivory (sun), etc. But they are not always well combined with each other. For example, a house with green walls and a red roof (the color of classic tulips, which many people are attracted to) will not have a very aesthetic look.
Choose the combination of shades carefully
The perception of wall and roof shades is very subjective and depends on many factors (such as light and surface texture). Different people have different associations with the same color. Therefore, do not rely entirely on the opinion of experts and too trusting of all the newfangled names of colors (golden sand, Sicilian orange, fuchsia) – it’s just a commercial move to attract customers. Trust only your eyes and preferences.
Excellent solution for choosing coloristic concepts will be the use of special computer programs that allow you to try on different colors of the facade and roof on a particular house pattern. Such software on the network a lot, and there are also specialized online resources.
If you do not really trust your own artistic imagination, you can entrust the choice of compatible colors to professional designers.
Some useful tips for choosing shades
Quickly and without too many problems, you can find compatible shades with the help of classic combination schemes:
- Dark top, light bottom and contrasting details – a traditional combination that both looks rich and always remains in fashion. The special charm of such buildings give contrasting details – windows, doors, plinth and architectural elements.
- Light top and dark bottom – a combination for experimenters. Such combinations are not always appropriate, but with the right coloristic concept can originally transform the exterior of the house.
- Tone-in-tone – the roof and walls are made in the same color or with a slight difference in shade. This provides a building monolithic and harmonious, but a little dull in appearance.
We hope that in our material you have found an answer to the question of what color to make the roof, if the house is lined with white, brown, red brick or any other. Adhere to our recommendations, and you’re sure to pick the perfect coloristic concept for the design of the facade and roof of your home.